And I’m not talkin’, “I NEED those shoes”.
The last couple of weeks (months) I have felt like I am constantly planning my life around buying things – Having to stop by this store to pick up milk. Stop by the gas station to fill up. When do I have time to run to the store to pick up TP? I’m out of face moisturizer – When can I swing by the mall to pick it up? The dogs are out of food.
Being 25 is expensive. I don’t even have kids yet!
So, I’ve compiled a list of 25 things that every 25-year-old really does NEED to buy:
1. Groceries – And not just the “Mom and Dad don’t get the good snacks, so I’ll get my own” kind of groceries. These are like the, “What’s for dinner?” groceries.
2. Pledge – Do you even know what this is? Dusting – You have to do it. Pledge will make your life SO much better. Trust me. I tried to just do the, “Eh, who needs Pledge? I’ll just wipe it down. Same thing.” Wrong. It’s not. And you’ll actually have to dust LESS with Pledge. Just do it.
3. Stamps – What? Yes, you will actually have to MAIL something at some point. And guess what, it ain’t free. You can get them at the Wells Fargo ATM. I know you go there.
But yes, the Post Office does exist.
4. Baby/Wedding…shower invites, gifts, decorations…anything – Guess what? You’re growing up, and so are all of your friends. They’re getting married, having babies, etc. You’re throwing showers, buying gifts, making decorations, etc. It’s happening. You can no longer see that pretty, smooth stainless steel refridgerator of yours (Ha! You wish. You’re 25, and life is expensive, remember? Enjoy your hand-me-down, 25-year-old fridge).
5. Napkins – You have paper towels? Great. Use them for “paper towel duties”. Break down and get yo’self some Vanity Fair Everyday napkins. Don’t invite your mother over for brunch, and put your folded paper towel napkins on the table. Trust me. I learned the hard way.
6. Gas – You’re driving around more than ever now, purchasing all of your 25-Year-Old Purchases, meeting friends for happy hour, grabbing a latte…that dreaded “E” shows up WAY too often.
7. Cleaning Products – You HAVE to do chores. Except now, Mom and Dad aren’t there to “not” clean up after you.
8. WiFi – I don’t think I even need to explain.
9. Toilet Paper – Again…no need to explain. I hope.
10. Kleenex – TP is not a good substitute…I promise spending the extra dough on a box of tissue is going to make. your. life. And your husband/boyfriend/fiance/partner/friend will appreciate it, too (even though they swear they could care less).
11. Coffee – I don’t care if it’s Starbucks, Peet’s, Temple, Folgers, K-Cups…You need it.
12. “Thank You” Cards – Remember when Mom and Dad hounded you for days, and weeks after birthday parties, graduations, etc.? Now, you’ll feel guilty if you don’t send a “Thank You”.
Keep some on-hand.
13. Address Labels – With your very own name, and your very own address on them!
Yep, you’ve hit it big.
14. “Junk Drawer” Items - Tape, pens, a notepad, stapler, restaurant mints, etc. You’ll be scrambling around, looking for them someday. For some reason. I know it.
15. A planner – Can I recommend Erin Condren? :) Her 2014-2015 Life Planners came out TODAY! Keep your life straight! You’re going to forget things…no matter how many times you say you won’t. You’re a guy? And you don’t need a planner? You do. And you will thank me for it later. You’re welcome.
16. Mixed Greens – Safeway. $5. Big ‘ol pack of it. I’m not sayin’ you have to go all Paleo on us, but take care of yourself. Pair it with your pizza, burger, whatever other crap you’re eating.
It’s worth it.
17. A decent phone case – The last thing you need to be paying for is a phone replacement. You’re going to drop it, kick it, throw it, whatever. Protect it.
18. Fingernail Clippers – Clean hands. You’re 25. You’re going to job interviews.
Going on dates. Getting engaged. Keep ‘em clean.
19. Resume Paper – Speaking of “job interviews” – Keep some on hand. We’ve all done the “Oh, crap! It’s almost midnight, I have an interview tomorrow, I’m not going to get any sleep!” dance. Stick to the Cupid Shuffle, and get yourself a pack of paper.
20. The AP Mobile App – Okay, this one is free, BUT…I suggest you invest some time into it. Or, at least download it. And allow those pesky “Push Notifications”. You’re going to be busy running around, living your 25-Year-Old Life, you don’t have time to sit down and watch the news. This will keep you up-to-date on your current events.
21. Interview Outfit – You may not need to “dress up” for your job - hell, you might not even have a job – BUT there will be that one occasion where you’ll need to dress your best – Interview, meeting with clients, wedding, cocktail hour, etc. Get yourself a nice ‘fit, and use it,
22. Vitamins – And actually take them…gummy, Flinstone, whatever.
23. Ibuprofen – Tylenol. Motrin. It doesn’t just “appear” in the cabinet…
24. Pots & Pans – You’re not going to eat takeout every night, and what else are you going to cook your Top Ramen in at the end of the month, when you’ve already paid for all of your other
25-Year-Old items? You might want to throw a plate, bowl and utensils into the cart, too.
Happy Hour drinks & bites – Don’t drink? That’s why I said, “bites”… Because after all of this, and your expensive 25-Year-Old Life, you’ll need ‘em.
And you’ll miss your friends.